In the online Infant Feeding Foundations Workshop you'll learn:
Developmental foundations of feeding & oral development
Understand the typical stages of infant oral and feeding development (0-12 months) that underpin feeding and feeding therapy at all ages. You'll learn more about the development of oral structure and function, oral sensory motor development, and psychosocial development of infants.
Assessment of oral structure, function & feeding skills
Learn how to complete a feeding case history, an in-depth oral motor examination, and the fundamentals of a feeding observation. Example pictures and videos of the various oral structures and functions are provided, as well as some sample assessment forms.
Evidence-based assessment & management of tongue-tie
We will discuss in-depth the potential impact of tongue and lip ties, current controversies, and the research base for your decision making. Photo and video examples are provided of tongue tie assessment. Management of tongue ties in relation to difficulties with breastfeeding, bottle feeding, solids and oral function is highlighted throughout the course.
Treatment of breastfeeding & bottle feeding difficulties
Learn more about breastfeeding and bottle feeding in infants, including facilitative and compensatory strategies for improving difficulties in these areas. The importance of working within a team is highlighted.
Treatment of early solids difficulties, including oral motor skills
Identify treatment principles and techniques for the treatment of early solids difficulties, including oral motor skills for feeding. We will discuss infant mental health approaches to treatment, and review 'stress points' - common referral reasons and corresponding therapeutic strategies.
- REGISTRATIONS: Registrations only open for a limited time - 8am Sun 12th Sept - 10pm Sun 26th Sept 2021 (Melbourne, Australia time - AEST).
- COURSE OPEN: Friday 8th October - Tuesday 30th November 2021. Available pre-recorded online, on-demand, watch at your own pace. Watch on your browser or through our mobile app.
- LIVE Q&A SESSION: Friday 19th November 9.30am AEDT. Recorded and uploaded to course platform.
- COURSE MANUAL: Posted to the address provided. Manuals to international participants are sent expedited/express post where possible.
- COURSE SUITABLE FOR: Allied health, medical, nursing and complementary health professionals. Participants must be a health professional working in a field related to feeding and/or paediatrics (workshop not for parents). The course caters to therapists with a range of experience (beginner to advanced).
- DISCOUNTS: 10% early bird discounts (registration by 10pm 19th September 2021 AEST) and 10% discount off full price for students/teams.
#1- Four recorded video modules (~1.5hrs each)
Secure login to access the course modules for almost 7 weeks. Watch at your own pace, rewind, replay as much as you want. Watch in your web browser or through our mobile app.
#2- 1hr live Q&A session for your course questions
Zoom session with our course presenter, Carly, recorded and uploaded to the course platform for the remainder of the course.
#3- Printed workshop manual
100+ page workshop manual of the course slides printed and posted to you. International postage included in international registrations.
#4- Clinical handouts and sample forms
Samples of a selection of feeding handouts and clinical forms used at Babble & Munch Speech Pathology.
At the end of the course, the SPs/OTs/DTs in the group will have the opportunity to join the Feeding Therapy Lab, our ongoing, online learning and support program for feeding therapists.
Developmental foundations of feeding and oral development
- Infant feeding landscape: Parts making up the whole
- Development of typical oral structure and function
- Oral sensory motor feeding skill development
Assessment of oral structure, function and feeding skills
- Feeding case histories
- Completing an in-depth oral motor examination
- Tongue & lip ties: Impact and assessment
- Feeding assessment
Treatment 0-6 months
- Breastfeeding management
- Bottle feeding management
- Intervening with oral function
- Management of tongue tie and current evidence
Treatment 6-12 months
- Treatment of early solids difficulties, including oral motor skills
- Infant mental health approach to treatment
- Stress points: Common solids feeding difficulties and therapeutic strategies
- Management of tongue tie with solids and current evidence
Carly Veness is a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist in Melbourne, Australia, working in both clinical & research roles over the past 17 years. Carly is the Founder & Principal Speech Pathologist at Babble & Munch Speech Pathology, a private practice focused on infant & child feeding. Carly also holds a public appointment at the Royal Women’s Hospital in the Neonatal Intensive & Special Care Unit & has a Graduate Diploma of Infant & Parent Mental Health.
Carly has particular interest & experience in working with babies & children with gastrointestinal conditions & allergy, congenital heart disease, prematurity, growth faltering, developmental delay, tongue ties, breastfeeding difficulties, & tube feeding. Carly is active in teaching, training & mentoring other speech pathologists & feeding therapists & regularly runs feeding workshops for other health professionals around Australia & overseas (online!).
Here's How Others Found the Course...
SLP - Regional VIC
Excellent course. Could not recommend highly enough to other speech pathologists with an interest in this area.
SLP - South Australia
Thank you so much for creating this course in an online format - It was extremely thorough and easy to navigate. I looked forward to sitting down and working through this! I have already started using a lot of what I have learned in my clinic, thank you!